Search Downright Delectable

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mom's Poolside Chicken Salad Sandwiches

So, since moving out, I find myself missing my mom's cooking and a lot of childhood meals I loved. I constantly e-mail my mom and ask for the most random and simple recipes so I can go out and stock up on the small stuff for when I get the nostalgic urge to have one of my moms poolside chicken sandwiches that I cannot seem to match her recipe to save my life.

As pathetic as it seems, reverting back to my 9 year old self, swimming in the pool at my grandparents country club eating these sandwiches actually sounds like a pleasant idea. It being 2:00 in the afternoon, and about 80 degrees, I think I'm going to post the recipe for you all to enjoy, and then go make some myself!


Mom's Poolside Chicken Salad Sandwiches (yields about 4 sandwiches)

  • 2 cans of white chicken in water. (Water drained)
  • 1/2 cup of mayo (not light mayo) or more according to taste
  • 1 T of mustard
  • 2 stocks of celery chopped small
  • 1 large dill pickle finely chopped or 2T of dill (NOT sweet) relish
  • 1/2 t of black pepper
  • 1/2 t of salt
  • 1/2 t of garlic powder
  • 1 whole apple (pink ladies are my favorite) chopped into a medium dice to get the most out of the flavor
 
Stir and chill for 1/2 hour.
Chilling the chicken salad is a really important step, so that the flavors have time to meld and thicken up a bit.
Take out, stir and add more seasoning if necessary.
 
 
I personally like my bread un-toasted, but Flo and Emma LOVE theirs toasted. Slap some (by some, I mean a lot) on some bread, open your favorite bag of chips and enjoy! ***Note, the messier, the better:)
 
-C

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment